Univ.-Prof. Dr.-Ing. Dr. h. c. Mathias Liewald MBA
University of Stuttgart
Institute for Metal Forming Technology (IFU)
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Mathias Liewald MBA, born in 1960, studied Mechanical Engineering at Technical University of Dortmund. In 1985 he joined the Chair for Metal Forming at the same University as scientific assistant, in 1990 he obtained his doctorate in the field of Sheet Metal bending technologies (Title of Thesis: „Strategies on process control of sheet metal bending processes supported by adaptive control“).
From 1991 to 1994 he has been working at Daimler-Benz AG (Sindelfingen/Germany) as a group leader in press shop technology, process optimisation and high strength sheet metal material manufacturing. By the year 1995 he left Daimler-Benz company and occupied the position as Plant manager for large panel production with Gebr. Wackenhut GmbH (Nagold/Germany).
From 1997 he occupied the position as Plant manager of the ThyssenKrupp Nothelfer site located in Lockweiler/Germany) being in charge for 1000 employees in the year 2000. In the same year he was nominated as a vice president “Dies International” being responsible for all die manufacturing activities of ThyssenKrupp Nothelfer Group. In 2004 he changed over to vice president position “business development” in his company. During the period from 1999 to 2002 he applied for the Master of Business and Administration degree (MBA) at the Open University Business School (Milton Keynes/ GB) and has been awarded in 2002.
In April 2005 he was appointed as a Full Professor and director at the Institute for Metal Forming Technology (IFU) at the University of Stuttgart. Until now Prof. Liewald is still active in multiple scientific boards and organisations such as:
- Member of the scientific advisory board of International Cold Forging Group (ICFG)
- Corporate member of the International Academy for production engineering (CIRP)
- member of the Association of institutes for metal forming technologies (AGU)
- member of the German academic Society for production engineering (WGP)
- Chairman of the board and member of the scientific advisory board of the German cold forging group (GCFG)
- reviewer of the German research foundation (DFG)
- member of the international scientific committee ESAform
- Chairman of the board of Karl-Göhring-foundation in Stuttgart/Germany
- Chairman of the board of Kurt & Ilse Lange-foundation in Stuttgart/Germany